Potato and Leek Soup
This simple soup has been a favorite of mine for many years, ever since my mother made it for me the first time. I love the simplicity of the two flavors, but at the same time, the depth and complexity of the flavor profile grows with every day. I used all farmer’s market ingredients for the photographed batch – hence the purple potatoes. However, red, russets, or golden work just as well.
- 2 1/2 lb potatoes, cut into rough cubes
- 4 cups chopped leeks
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 TBSP dried sage
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 cups water
- 4 TBSP vegan sour cream
- Saute the onions and garlic in a small pan until translucent. Remove from heat.
- Boil the potatoes, sage, and bay leaves in the 5 cups of water. After 15 minutes, add the leeks and onion mixture, and boil until the potatoes are tender.
- Remove the bay leaves, let everything cool (I put mine in the refrigerator overnight), and the sour cream, and blend in a food processor until smooth. Enjoy cool or hot, and extra sour cream is a nice touch as well.